Friday, October 07, 2005

Paying the price for success

“Nothing worthwhile comes easily. Half effort does not produce half results. It produces no results. Work, continuous work and hard work, is the only way to accomplish results that last” – Hamilton Holt

From cradle to the grave we are exhorted to succeed at work, school, play and all that good stuff. Yet there seems to be this unwritten rule that applies to our generation. It goes something like this: Be all you can be. Excel at every worthwhile endeavour. But whatever you do; do not ever reach a level of success that would remind me of what I could become if I worked harder, applied myself even more et cetera. I think this is why there are so many successful people, sports teams, companies and countries that some people just “love to hate”. But, this is just a hypothesis from casual observation. There couldn’t possibly be any truth to it, could there?