Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Help for a simple-minded letter

I had asked for some suggestions on how (if?) I should go about resonding to this simple-minded tirade which appeared recently in the press. Here are two excerpts from some responses I got via e-mail:

"It is a very simplistic critique of religion. I pray that God will give you wisdom in knowing which of his many accusations to respond to. "


"I'd keep focused on one point. This guy is all over the place and will not be taken seriously by serious readers. Carefully and graciously distinguish between two different kinds of prophecy - the kind that is evidential (certain Old Testament prophecies, like those in Daniel and those that foretell of the coming Messiah for example, are highly evidential) and the kind that is more like superstition. If you make a simple, careful distinction, his letter will be seen for what it is: a simple-minded rant."