Sunday, September 04, 2005

Experience true joy

“Money never stays with me. It would burn me if it did. I throw it out of my hands as soon as possible, lest it should find its way into my heart” – John Wesley

There are few things in this world that compare to the joy of giving. I can therefore do the reader no better favour than to recommend that you read the book, Money Possessions and Eternity by Randy Alcorn. It will change your life forever. One of the greatest pieces of advice I have come across on the topic of finances is from John Wesley who said, “Make as much as your can, save as much as your can, and give as much as your can”. The best part of that advice is to “give as much as you can.” Do you care to experience true joy? Experience the joy in giving. Of course, it goes without saying that you give to legitimate causes, preferably a cause that is much bigger than yourself. Should you develop a habit of giving consistently, you will very quickly realize that it is much harder to give money away responsibly, than it is to make it in the first place. I think one of the main reasons Bill Gates is consistently the richest man in the world is because of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Of course we can’t all give at that level, indeed we might not all be able to give financially. But we all have at least one talent and 24 hours in a day, why not start there?