Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Reflections on Life

The two greatest certainties are death and the second coming of Christ. This ancient tale makes the point about death. A slave travels with his master to Baghdad. Early one morning, while milling through the market place, the slave sees Death in human form. Death gives him a threatening look. The slave recoils in terror, convinced that Death intends to take him that day. The slave runs to his master and says, “Help me. I have seen Death, and his threatening look tells me he intends to take my life this very day. I must escape him. Please, master, let me leave now and flee on camel so that by tonight I can reach Samara, where Death cannot find me.” His master agrees, and the terrified servant rides like the wind for the fifteen-hour journey to Samara. A few hours later, the master sees Death among the throngs in Baghdad. He boldly approaches Death and asks him, “Why did you give my servant a threatening look?” “That was not a threatening look,” Death replies. “That was a look of surprise. You see, I was amazed to see your servant today in Baghdad, for I have an appointment with him tonight in Samara.”

As for the second coming? Jesus, speaking to his disciples, makes the point. (John 14:3) “And if I am going away to prepare a place for you, I will come again and will welcome you into my presence, so that you may be where I am.” Whether we are rich or poor, believer or unbeliever, high or low in status, the fact remains: we all die and Jesus will return. Why do we sometimes live then as though we are invincible and we hold our future in our hands? Perhaps, men are fools. But certainly not as foolish as that?